Update from Deena Whaitiri – Sorted Kainga Ora Facilitator/Navigator, Chatham Islands Housing Partnership Trust
We have successfully completed delivery of the Sorted Kainga Ora programme to 28 whānau and we are pleased to announce that we have received more funding to deliver to a further 15 whānau.
By completing this programme (designed by the Commission for Financial Capability and Te Puni Kokiri), affordable housing packages will be available to whānau to apply for with the Chatham Islands Housing Partnership Trust.
This may be the last opportunity to receive this free financial training, so whānau, if you are interested, please contact me at email@example.com or 3050177.
Housing development update
- Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust has gifted land at Sandstone to the Chatham Islands Housing Partnership Trust to develop into housing
- There will be five three-bedroom dwellings
- A ‘breaking ground blessing’ will be held at Sandstone at 7am on Monday 15 March 2021
- Building is scheduled to commence in May 2021, to be completed later in the calendar year
- Housing support plans will be offered – need to have completed the Sorted Kainga Ora programme
- Preference for first time homeowners.
We will be focused on offering a ‘rent to buy’ scheme. This is a more affordable option for whānau to become first time homeowners post COVID-19.
- Under this scheme, whānau will rent the houses but be provided with a pathway to buying and owning the house over time
- Financial criteria will apply to help ensure whānau can manage the commitment over the long-term
- More details on the scheme are available by completing the Sorted Kainga Ora programme.
Thanks to the Trust partners: