Do you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another?

Then you may qualify to vote more than once at the local authority elections on 12 October 2019.

  • If you live and vote in one council district, but also pay rates on a property in another district, you may be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector in that other council district.
  • If your council district has community or local boards established, and you are a residential elector in one community or local board area and pay rates on a property in another community or local board area, you may be eligible to enrol as a ratepayer elector in that other community or local board area.
  • A firm, company, trust, corporation or society which pays rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a non-resident ratepayer elector, provided that the nominator and the person nominated are both registered as Parliamentary electors at addresses which are outside the council district within which the property is situated.
  • In the case of partners, joint tenants and tenants in common, who collectively pay rates on a property, one of the group may be nominated to be entered on the ratepayer electoral roll. Again, the nominated person and the nominator must be registered as Parliamentary electors at addresses which are outside the council district within which the property is situated.
Note: The term ‘council district’ includes a city, district and regional council area.


Eligibility to enrol or be nominated will depend on individual circumstances

In each case only one ratepayer elector can be nominated, irrespective of the number of properties owned by the firm, company, society, trust, partnership or ratepayer in a council district.

New Ratepayer Electors

If you think you may be eligible to enrol or to nominate a person for the ratepayer electoral roll, you will need to obtain an Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors from the city or district council to which you pay your rates.

If you are on the Parliamentary electoral roll you will automatically be on the local authority residential electoral roll.

How to apply

If this applies to you, i.e. you own property (and pay rates) on the Chatham Islands but live elsewhere, and you would like to vote in the upcoming local government election for the Chatham Islands Council, you must complete this form before 16 August:

For assistance please phone: 0800 666 049.